Thursday 20 September 2012

From the Review Pile (20)


From the Review Pile is a meme hosted by Stepping Out of the Page every Thursday.
The aim of this meme is to showcase books that you've received for review (or if you don't receive review books, any book that you own and really want to read/review) but haven't yet got around to reading, in order to give the book some extra publicity.

I know that a lot of you have a huge pile of books that you want to read/review, but it understandably takes a while to get around to reading them all - here you can give a book (or two!) some of the publicity that it deserves, even if you haven't read it yet!

-----------------------------------

Good news! This week I picked up the book that I featured in FTRP last week, so be sure to keep an eye out for my review of The Raven Boys soon!

This week, I'm going to showcase Pure!
I have been really looking forward to reading Pure, but I have seen mixed reviews which does make me a little unsure of it - along with the thick size of it! However, I am hoping that it will be amazing - The quote on the front says 'Love The Hunger Games, Love Pure' and I do love THG, so I'm hoping that this will be similar.

Pure by Julianna Baggott
Paperback, 480 pages
Published 7th June 2012 by Headline
We know you are here, our brothers and sisters . . . 
Pressia barely remembers the Detonations or much about life during the Before. In her sleeping cabinet behind the rubble of an old barbershop where she lives with her grandfather, she thinks about what is lost--how the world went from amusement parks, movie theaters, birthday parties, fathers and mothers . . . to ash and dust, scars, permanent burns, and fused, damaged bodies. And now, at an age when everyone is required to turn themselves over to the militia to either be trained as a soldier or, if they are too damaged and weak, to be used as live targets, Pressia can no longer pretend to be small. Pressia is on the run. 
Burn a Pure and Breathe the Ash . . . 
There are those who escaped the apocalypse unmarked: Pures. They are tucked safely inside the Dome that protects their healthy, superior bodies. Yet Partridge, whose father is one of the most influential men in the Dome, feels isolated and lonely. Different. He thinks about loss--maybe just because his family is broken; his father is emotionally distant; his brother killed himself; and his mother never made it inside their shelter. Or maybe it's his claustrophobia: his feeling that this Dome has become a swaddling of intensely rigid order. So when a slipped phrase suggests his mother might still be alive, Partridge risks his life to leave the Dome to find her. 
When Pressia meets Partridge, their worlds shatter all over again. 

7 comments:

  1. Ooh that sounds pretty cool, I haven't heard any reviews about it but hopefully it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow this cover is SO different from Pure!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this before but it sounds really good. Thanks for sharing! =D

    Sangita @ Whisper of Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's not even talk about my TBR. Great idea. I read Pure last winter and it was quite the read, Dark and disturbing. I will be watching for your review. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, this is new to me & it sounds awesome! I hope you get round to it soon. I'm off to add it to my huge TBR pile! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does have quite a few mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed it myself. I hope you like it too, Steph! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty cover! I hope you will love this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately this is an award and tag free zone - Whilst I appreciate the thought, I simply don' have the time to pass them on.

Please feel free to leave a reply, I read and appreciate them all!