Saturday 22 December 2012

Once Upon a Christmas

Once Upon a Christmas by Sarah Morgan

Paperback, 379 pages

Published October 2012 by Mills and Boon

My shelves: adult-fiction, arc-or-review, better-than-expected, books-i-own, chick-lit, christmas-books, cover-appeal, mum-has, read, read-in-2012, realistic-fiction, really-good, title-appeal
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Description via Goodreads:

What's your number one Christmas wish?

Bryony's daughter has put a dad on her Christmas list. That leaves Bryony with one month to find the perfect man, so this year she's wishing for a miracle!

While she's looking for love, her best friend Helen is doing the opposite. Her Christmas wish is to forget all about the white dress hanging in her wardrobe - and her faithless rat of a fiance.

Helen and Bryony's festive cheer definitely needs a boost, so it's lucky that once upon a Christmas, wishes really do come true...



Once Upon a Christmas is the second book that I’ve read by Sarah Morgan, but I know it certainly won’t be the last! Last year, I read Angels in the Snow and really enjoyed it, so when I heard about her newest book, Once Upon a Christmas, I jumped at the chance of reviewing it and I am so happy to say that it didn’t disappoint

This book is separated into two interlinking stories, one telling the story of Bryony and Jack, the other of Helen, Bryony’s best friend and Oliver, Bryony’s sister. Though they are two separate stories, thankfully neither of them lack in depth. I did prefer Bryony’s story slightly more than that of Helen and Oliver, but both stories were really enjoyable. Though the stories were rather predictable, they were lovely to just sit back, relax and read - this really is a perfect winter book! There are lots of Christmassy references in this book, so it does really immerse you into the atmosphere and setting - however, it wouldn’t put me off reading it at other times of the year.

I really liked meeting all of the characters that we were introduced to as they all had vibrant personalities - even the secondary characters felt very real. The way that the characters interacted with each other was very lifelike and so the book felt realistic. The chemistry between Bryony and Jack was fantastic to read about - I really got drawn into their relationship and willed them on. Jack’s relationship with Bryony’s daughter was touching and I loved the family dynamic. The chemistry between Helen and Oliver was also well written, but for me, it did feel a little sudden or rushed, nevertheless, I grew to love them both as a couple. I thought that their was just the right amount of romance in this book. I thought that for the most part, the story moved on well and I enjoyed the anticipation of the next move. The romance wasn’t too sickly sweet for me, but passionate and loving. For those who enjoy more steamy scenes, there are a couple in the book that are sure to satisfy, without being too over the top.

I must admit that I was left a little disappointed about the lack of exploration of Bryony and Helen’s friendship - though Helen is Bryony’s best friend, we never really got to see them interact and if we did, I think that may have been beneficial for the connection of the two stories. 

This really was a fantastic Christmas read which I’d highly recommend to anyone who is wanting an easy, festive read. It’s always nice to read something light and heartwarming at this time of year, and with lovable characters alongside a beautiful wintery setting, Once Upon a Christmas will not disappoint!




2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it!
    I need to check out Angels in the snow, two years ago I read Wish Upon a Star by her and it was a lovely pair of stories :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Light, easy and festive is just right for this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately this is an award and tag free zone - Whilst I appreciate the thought, I simply don' have the time to pass them on.

Please feel free to leave a reply, I read and appreciate them all!