Thursday 23 August 2012

From the Review Pile (16)


From the Review Pile is a meme hosted by Stepping Out of the Page every Thursday.
The aim of this meme is to showcase books that you've received for review (or if you don't receive review books, any book that you own and really want to read/review) but haven't yet got around to reading, in order to give the book some extra publicity.

I know that a lot of you have a huge pile of books that you want to read/review, but it understandably takes a while to get around to reading them all - here you can give a book (or two!) some of the publicity that it deserves, even if you haven't read it yet!

-----------------------------------

This week, I'm going to showcase The City's Son!
This book came into my house without me knowing much about it! I hadn't seen any mentions of this book before I received it and even now, I haven't seen very many reviews for it. This slight sense of mystery does make me want to pick it up and see what it's like! It's the first in The Skyscraper Throne series. Have any of you read it? What did you think of it?


The City's Son by Tom Pollock
Hardback, 422 pages
Published 2nd August 2012 by Quercus
Expelled from school, betrayed by her best friend and virtually ignored by her dad, who’s never recovered from the death of her mum, Beth Bradley retreats to the sanctuary of the streets, looking for a new home. What she finds is Filius Viae, the ragged and cocky crown prince of London, who opens her eyes to the place she’s never truly seen.

But the hidden London is on the brink of destruction. Reach, the King of the Cranes, is a malign god of demolition, and he wants Filius dead. In the absence of the Lady of the Streets, Filius’ goddess mother, Beth rouses Filius to raise an alleyway army, to reclaim London’s skyscraper throne for the mother he’s never known. Beth has almost forgotten her old life – until her best friend and her father come searching for her, and she must choose between the streets and the life she left behind.

7 comments:

  1. Hmm... I have a feeling that either its going to be amazing or really disappointing! Can't wait for you to read & review to find out!

    I would also like to invite you to some Trivia fun on my Blog: http://b00kr3vi3ws.blogspot.in/2012/08/meme-trivia-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read or heard of it either, but it does sound pretty interesting! Hope it's good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this around and i love the sound of it!

    Great pick! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! First time coming across the book. Looks good! Hope you'll get around to reading it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this either but if I saw that cover I would definitely pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds good! I haven't heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's no such thing as a disabled man, only a warrior who wakes up to a battle everyday and sleeps with a victory behind him every night.

    Flights to New York | Cheap Air Tickets to New York

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately this is an award and tag free zone - Whilst I appreciate the thought, I simply don' have the time to pass them on.

Please feel free to leave a reply, I read and appreciate them all!