Thursday 18 July 2013

From The Review Pile (60)


From the Review Pile is a meme hosted by Stepping Out of the Page every Thursday.
The aim of this meme is to showcase books that you've received for review (or if you don't receive review books, any book that you own and really want to read/review) but haven't yet got around to reading, in order to give the book some extra publicity.

I know that a lot of you have a huge pile of books that you want to read/review, but it understandably takes a while to get around to reading them all - here you can give a book (or two!) some of the publicity that it deserves, even if you haven't read it yet!

-----------------------------------
This week, I'm going to showcase Gone Girl!

Gone Girl is a book that I've had my eye on for quite a while but I've only just got around to buying it. The premise doesn't sound like something I'd usually read - though it does sound like it would make a great TV drama. I do like the idea of it though and it's all of the five starred, rave reviews that have really made me want to read this one. 


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Paperback, 496 Pages
Published 3rd January 2013 by Phoenix

Marriage can be a real killer.

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

3 comments:

  1. Really looking forward to what you think of this! I had mixed feelings but this is definitely well-loved by most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Gone Girl but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this one for awhile, but I keep putting off reading it. My book group read it and hearing their discussion about it spoiled some of the twists for me. And spoilers always decrease my enthusiasm for a book greatly... Maybe someday I'll read it though!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately this is an award and tag free zone - Whilst I appreciate the thought, I simply don' have the time to pass them on.

Please feel free to leave a reply, I read and appreciate them all!