Friday 27 September 2013

Exclusive Blog Post from Tabitha Suzuma


 Thanks to Bodley Head, I was offered the opportunity to ask for a post of my choice from the author of HURT, the book I reviewed earlier this week. I nearly always ask for the same thing, a playlist to go alongside the book, and Tabitha provided me not only with a playlist, but a playlist that sounds fantastic, featuring two of my favourite artists, Garbage and Lana Del Rey. Check out what she had to say:

 Playlist to HURT


I wrote HURT to Back to Black by Amy Winehouse, Only Happy When it Rains by Garbage, Born to Die by Lana Del Rey, Lose Yourself by Eminem, Play On by Paloma Faith, and a very haunting cover of The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson. These songs helped me get into the detached, heavy-hearted and depressed moods of Mathéo: a talented, privileged teenager who on the surface appears to have it all but deep down, harbours a terrible secret that threatens his life as he knows it, as well as the relationship he has with the only girl he has ever loved. It is one of the harsher, grittier and more difficult books I have written, and the soundtracks to the films Sylvia and Never Let Me Go also helped me reach the levels of distress experienced by Mathéo as he battles with his secret, his past, the consequence of his actions, and ultimately attempts to achieve forgiveness and absolution.


I hope that you all liked the post and enjoy listening to these songs alongside the book.
My thanks go to Tabitha for taking the time to write out a post for me, and of course to the publishers. 

HURT by TABITHA SUZUMA is available for purchase NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately this is an award and tag free zone - Whilst I appreciate the thought, I simply don' have the time to pass them on.

Please feel free to leave a reply, I read and appreciate them all!