Thursday 28 February 2013

From The Review Pile (43)


From the Review Pile is a meme hosted by Stepping Out of the Page every Thursday.
The aim of this meme is to showcase books that you've received for review (or if you don't receive review books, any book that you own and really want to read/review) but haven't yet got around to reading, in order to give the book some extra publicity.

I know that a lot of you have a huge pile of books that you want to read/review, but it understandably takes a while to get around to reading them all - here you can give a book (or two!) some of the publicity that it deserves, even if you haven't read it yet!

-----------------------------------
This week, I'm going to showcase Birdsong!

I returned from a visit to the Battlefields of France and Belgium this week and I am really eager to read more books that are set during the First World War as it really interests me. I was actually given this book as part of a school history award several years ago, but never got around to picking it up. I loved the TV adaptation and can't wait to have the time to read the book. 


Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
Paperback, 518 Pages

Published 1994 by Vintage Books

Published to international critical and popular acclaim, this intensely romantic yet stunningly realistic novel spans three generations and the unimaginable gulf between the First World War and the present. As the young Englishman Stephen Wraysford passes through a tempestuous love affair with Isabelle Azaire in France and enters the dark, surreal world beneath the trenches of No Man's Land, Sebastian Faulks creates a world of fiction that is as tragic as A Farewell to Arms and as sensuous as The English Patient. Crafted from the ruins of war and the indestructibility of love, Birdsong is a novel that will be read and marveled at for years to come.

3 comments:

  1. I've heard amazing things about this one. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like it, though it does sound more like something my dad would read than me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one has been on my TBR shelf forever! I know everyone likes it and I should read it, but I never seem to be in the mood to read more about WWI trench warfare. But I will. Someday.

    Thanks for following my Rose City Reader blog. I am now following you back.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately this is an award and tag free zone - Whilst I appreciate the thought, I simply don' have the time to pass them on.

Please feel free to leave a reply, I read and appreciate them all!