Tuesday 24 July 2012

Angels and Demons (Robert Langdon #1)


Angels and Demons (Robert Langdon #1) by Dan Brown
Paperback, 620 pages

Published 2001 by Corgi Books
(First Published 2000)

My shelves: 
adult-fiction, better-than-expected, books-i-own, cultural, currently-reading, historical, movies-or-tv, read-in-2012, realistic-fiction, series-or-companions
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Description via Goodreads:
When a scientist is found brutally murdered, Harvard professor Robert Langdon is asked to identify the mysterious symbol seared onto the dead man's chest. Realising it must be the work of the Illuminati - an ancient secret brotherhood sworn against Catholicism - the race is on to prevent a tragedy.

Buy this book:


When I was hunting for a story that was based in Rome, Italy, this is the one that stood out like a sore thumb. It is one of those books that it seems like everyone has read, or at least seen the film adaptation of... everyone apart from me! I didn't really want to read this book - I was actually dreading it. I am not a big fan of mystery or crime books, so I didn't think that this book would be for me. I also thought that the book would be one huge info-dump. Nonetheless, I picked it up and gave it a go simply because it was set in Rome. I am so, so glad that I gave this book a chance as I was completely blown away.

There was a lot of information provided the history of Rome and the Illuminati in this story, but rather than feeling overwhelming, it was simply fascinating - I couldn't get enough information and it has made me want to look into the Illuminati more. I really can't describe how interesting that this book is - on almost every page I was learning something new without feeling as though I was having a history lesson. Dan Brown is amazingly clever in the way that he links all of his facts together. Reading this on the plane home from Rome was a real treat - Brown led me around the city through this book and taught me lots about its history. 

Whilst I doubt that the events that occurred in this book are going to happen anytime soon, it was quite realistic and as I've mentioned, Brown fabricated this story very impressively. The characters didn't have particularly amazing personalities, but they were strong and they interacted well. I did like our main character, Langdon, my fondness for him growing as the story progressed. I loved Vittoria Vetra too - a bit kick-ass and very brave. We were of course introduced to lots of other characters, though they were all well defined and it was easy to keep track. There were a whole load of twists throughout the book, some a little predictable but thankfully, quite a few that weren't too. The book was generally fast paced though I did feel that there were brief sections where it lagged. 

It did take me a little while to get into the book as it's not my usual genre, but once I did adjust to it, I was hooked. This wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it was certainly one of the smartest which is what made it so good. I can't wait to read more of Dan Brown's books and I hope that I like them as much as I liked this one.

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this! I love this series. The Da Vince Code (#2) is my favorite, but The Lost Symbol (3#) is also fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie!
    I watched the film for it, and the film was amazing! I'd love to know more :D I've added this to my TBR list! :D

    -Kirthi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will have to give this one another go... I LOVED the Da Vinci Code but for some reason had a really hard time with Angels and Demons. You have given me hope though...

    Lindsay @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent read the DaVinci Code or Angels and Demons, and I didnt even know there was a third book (as another person said in a comment)
    I did watch the movies, and I thought they were good.

    But I think your review made me decide to read these books now!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan Brown might not write great 'literature' but they're very addictive! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book, it's my favourite Dan Brown. And like Kirthi said, the film is pretty good too. Dan Brown books are amongst my guilty pleasures! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was my favorite from Dan Brown! I love how this book is informative, but really grabs your attention at the same time. It never gets boring, it's just fascinating :D I also googled more about the Illuminati during this book! The Da Vinci Code is also very good :) His other works are not very good, but still pleasant to read - at least one time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the only Robert Langdon story I haven't yet read, while it's sitting right on my bookshelf! :| I loved The DaVinci Code and The Lost Symbol and I needed a lot of time during the day to read those, since they're so interesting and stimulating, you can't read them bit by bit. That's why I'm still waiting for a couple of days off at least, so I'll get to read this! Glad that you enjoyed reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hah, I haven't seen the film out of principle, but I really enjoyed this book, as well as The Da Vinci Code. I never really understood the hate fest, I thought they were both pretty compelling.
    Anyway, I'm happy you enjoyed this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you liked it. I have never read Dan Brown because Crime and mystery so aren't my things, but my sister has - she usually limits her reading to whatever Lauren Conrad writes and that's pretty much it - and she says that he has a very engrossing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These days it seems cool to hate on Dan Brown & his books, but I personally love them. They're total brain fluff. They're my go-to books when I want something fun and fast-paced without having to devote too much thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried reading this a while ago and just couldn't get into it. had read the Da Vinci Code first and really liked it so my sister let me borrow the first one (this one) and I just couldn't read it. I might try it out again some other time since I really liked his other book but I am not sure when. Glad you enjoyed t though :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never read any of Dan Brown's stuff. I really want to though. I didn't realise it was all a series!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately this is an award and tag free zone - Whilst I appreciate the thought, I simply don' have the time to pass them on.

Please feel free to leave a reply, I read and appreciate them all!