Thursday 28 June 2012

From the Review Pile (8)

From the Review Pile is a meme hosted by Stepping Out of the Page every Thursday.
The aim of this meme is to showcase books that you've received for review (or if you don't receive review books, any book that you own and really want to read/review) but haven't yet got around to reading, in order to give the book some extra publicity.

I know that a lot of you have a huge pile of books that you want to read/review, but it understandably takes a while to get around to reading them all - here you can give a book (or two!) some of the publicity that it deserves, even if you haven't read it yet!

First of all, I'm sorry for posting this so late today - trust me to forget the day of the week!

This week, I'm going to showcase After the Snow by S.D. Crockett!
I think that this books sounds really interesting - It's described as post apocalyptic which is one of my favourite genres, so I'm hoping that this one will impress me, despite the mixed reviews. I think that the reason why I haven't picked this one up yet is because I'm quite a seasonal reader, so I really want to read this one when there's snow around me in winter, I just think it'll add some extra impact for me! 


After the Snow by S.D. Crockett
Hardback, 320 pages
Published 2nd February by Macmillan Children's Books


I'm gonna sit here in my place on the hill behind the house. Waiting. And watching. Ain't nothing moving down there.The valley look pretty bare in the snow. Just the house grey and lonely down by the river all frozen. I got to think what I'm gonna do now that everyone gone.But I got my dog head on.The dog gonna tell me what to do. The dog gonna help me.The house look proper empty – don't it dog?You just sit quiet in these rocks Willo.Set in the haunting and barren landscape of a new ice age, After The Snow is the story of fifteen-year-old Willo, a "straggler" kid who loses his family in the opening pages. Completely alone, he is immediately flung into an icy journey of survival, adventure, friendship and self-discovery – with only the dog spirit inside his head to guide him. Meanwhile, across Britain, outlawed followers of survivalist John Blovyn are planning an escape to the fabled Islands talked of in a revolutionary book.

12 comments:

  1. I like the premise and that cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is lovely, though it does remind of of the one for Raven Boys, :)
    I like the sound of this plot a lot more though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what to think of this book yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the description, I may have to get a copy from the library. I like the idea of waiting for snowfall to help the effect when reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it could be a great read. Hope you enjoy it despite the mixed reviews. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! The cover is pretty unique. Hope you'll enjoy reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, this one is on my overflowing review pile too! I hope we both get round to it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this one around but I don't think I realized it was a post-apocalyptic novel. That's one of my favorite genres, too! I may have to check this one out...if I ever get through my existing pile! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOhhh new found! Thanks for sharing this, Im really interested in this book will add this on my gr pile. x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this one in my review pile too, it does sound interesting but I've also seen some really mixed reviews for it =/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always been put off by the cover of this book, but it actually sounds really good. Hope you enjoy it when you get to read it!
    x

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately this is an award and tag free zone - Whilst I appreciate the thought, I simply don' have the time to pass them on.

Please feel free to leave a reply, I read and appreciate them all!