Saturday 10 December 2011

A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Paperback, 100 pages

Published April 1st 2010 by HarperPress
(First published 1843)


My shelves: books-i-own, 1001-books, adult-fiction, christmas-books, classics, currently-reading, fantasy, favourites, ghosts, historical
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Description via Goodreads



'I am the Ghost of Christmas Present,' said the Spirit. 'Look upon me!' A celebration of Christmas, a tale of redemption and a critique on Victorian society, Dickens' atmospheric novella follows the miserly, penny-pinching Ebenezer Scrooge who views Christmas as 'humbug'. It is only through a series of eerie, life-changing visits from the ghost of his deceased business partner Marley and the spirits of Christmas past, present and future that he begins to see the error of his ways. With heart-rending characters, rich imagery and evocative language, the message of A Christmas Carol remains as significant today as when it was first published.
My Review
A Christmas Carol is one of those books that I always meant and wanted to read, but I never got around to it, even though I've managed to watch the original film version each year. I'm very glad that I finally picked up a copy of this novella as it was certainly everything I expected it to be. The book felt a little more realistic than the film adaptations, yet managed to keep a real sense of magic, and therefore I do feel that this was more effective and a little more special.
This is the first piece of literature that I have read by Dickens and I was surprised with how effortless it was to read, the language wasn't at all difficult and it flowed well - his writing is unique and a real pleasure to read. I particularly enjoyed reading his descriptions. Although the story isn't completely light hearted, Dickens manages to weave humour throughout. The several characters and family members that we're introduced to are well formed in a short amount of writing and you can really see a depth in them all.
The transition of an old man, Scrooge, from dissatisfied and irritable into a considerate gentleman is handled in a stirring way, especially when based around the Christmas period.
At a mere 100 pages, there's no excuse to not pick up this heartwarming Christmas tale. Although it isn't totally perfect or extremely 'deep', it portrays a meaningful story and it has to be the definitive Christmas Classic.

17 comments:

  1. I try to read this every Christmas season- love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this yet, but maybe I should look into it :) It sounds really good, and I do like the movie. Plus, it's only 100 pages? Can't go wrong there!

    My little sister is actually doing this play for her winter concert on Wednesday. Great review!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I confess I have only read the book once or twice, but I love watching all type of movie variations on it! I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of those books that I've always meant to get around to reading, great review, new follower

    www.headstuckinabook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read A Christmas Carol last year, it is such a little treasure. Thank you for reminding me to reread it again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore this book! I love that you are reading Christmas books. I have some set aside for Christmas week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I haven't read this classic yet for some reason, but I certainly need to do so. Thanks for reminding me how awesome Christmas books can be!
    Also, thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following you back! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. I adore this book!

    - MissKimberlyStardust @ TurningThePages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this book! And I love your review too! I'm a new follower here and I've also written a review of this book on my own blog. If you're interested, you should check it out!

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    http://storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this for the first time a year or so ago and I too loved it and was a bit surprised by how much I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this one for the first time in 2010, then reread it aloud with my mom several months later, in celebration of the holidays. I LOVE it. I felt the same as you when I read it -- excited to see it wasn't as difficlut to read as I'd expected. Dickens really is so magical, with his words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this for the first time this past Christmas. Figured it was about time I got around to it. :) It's definitely a Christmas classic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always meant to read it too! But never got a chance to. Maybe now I will.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love classics & this is one of my all time favourites...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the movie of this and sure gonna love the book, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. on the top of my favorites books
    I love everything of Dickens

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my go to Christmas novel every year. I read this every year at least twice and I also watch the film over and over there are so many different versions of this film and it keeps you wanting more. Great review... www.atbookends.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately this is an award and tag free zone - Whilst I appreciate the thought, I simply don' have the time to pass them on.

Please feel free to leave a reply, I read and appreciate them all!